Thursday 26 May 2011

My hometown

Today I feel depressed. Why? Probably due to the fact that I have to spend summer in my lovely hometown of Rochdale. I love my friends here, which will make the next few months survivable. However here are some interesting facts that Rochdale has gained notoriety for-:


Lizzie Bardsely


Our Lizzie gained fame for her appearance on 'Wife Swap'. Her foul mouthed rants and revelation that she claimed £37,500 in benefits a year made Lizzie an instant celebrity and put Rochdale back on the map. Not since Lisa Stansfield has Rochdale gained such popularity! Lizzie has since appeared on celebrity fit club and been charged with child cruelty. She is a true representation of Rochdale.


The Nightlife
With the local people of Rochdale the town centre has always been viewed as slightly 'rough'. However the true dangers of braving a night on the tiles in Rochdale made national headlines on the 17th October 2010 when two men decided to drive down the main street and plough down around 23 people. Here is the article on the said incident. 

Crime Statistics
My research has led me to some interesting figures on the crime rates in Rochdale.
                                             Rochdale  Average 

Population206,100-
Households86,000-
Burglary16.911.0
Criminal damage30.717.0
Drug offences5.24.0
Fraud and forgery4.63.0
Offences against vehicles16.511.0
Other offences2.61.0
Other theft offences18.920.0
Robbery2.21.0
Sexual offences1.31.0
Violence against the person19.416.0
I think the figures speak for themselves. 

The Benefit Capital
Due to the likes of Lizzie Bardsely and the delightful programme 'The Trouble with girls' Rochdale has become known as the benefit capital of the country. I'm a full supporter of the benefit system when it is used for the right reasons. However I think it is a fair assumption to make that many of those who are on them in Rochdale shouldn't be. 

Racism
Just google racism Rochdale. Plenty of news articles will appear. I don't take sides. Not because of my multi racial heritage but due to the fact that I have something called a brain. 

So there you have it. This summer I get to spend time in England's answer to the Bronx. If I dare to venture into the town centre for a drink I risk getting run down by a maniac. If I simply venture the streets I may get beaten up for my race (and lets face it I could get it off both 'sides'!)
 There is a lot of good things that people do and that happen in Rochdale. But the simple fact is we are all just making the best of a bad situation. I'm afraid that I'm a rat, I plan to jump ship as soon as the opportunity arises! 


Word of the Day: Obliterate (For obvious reasons)


Quote of the day: 'It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.' Anton LaVey 


Guilty Confession of the Day: I sometimes lie when I meet people and say I am from Manchester.

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha that's funny!!! But jump shit?? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Kyle we will turn it round single handedly with Sunsport. We will move forward and show Rochdale that there are good things out there. Come 2012 there will be a statue of you in the centre of Rochdale. But first we will sit down and have a coffee to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not just me that claims to be from North Manchester then!!!! Never ever ever admit to being form Rochdale :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Graeme, Sunsport is one of the good things I was speaking of!

    ReplyDelete