Friday 27 May 2011

The Accent Factor

Those of you who know me personally are probably aware I get unhealthy obsessions. The last was focused on Scre4m. However a long standing one that has slowly began to waver was with Cheryl Cole. I don't know why I was so obsessed. Although it made me seem less insane than when I was obsessed with Scre4m!
I had no intention of ever blogging about Cheryl. But the recent rumours about her being dropped from the USA X Factor have got me thinking. Many have suggested it was due to her Geordie accent. I think it's an outrage! For me personally the Geordie accent is one of the better accents our country has to offer. Maybe I'm biased. I had an obsession with Cheryl and I also lived in Middlesborough for a while.


 Have you ever spoken to someone from Rochdale? We sound stupid, common and a tad backwards (notice I said 'we', I have the same accent). Plus a lot of southerners struggle with our accent. Try ordering a coke in a bar anywhere below London. I bet you have to repeat yourself at least once! What about the Scouser accent (Liverpool)? Would it have faired better if they had used Cilla Black? What about a Brummie (Birmingham)? No I have it! Barnsley! I'm sure they have their own language!


I think it's a disgrace. I'm going to gather my Tin Foil Hat friends and we will unite against the X Factor and get Cheryl her job back! It also appears that my latest obsession is with 'Tin Foil Hat' people. Now I know I'm a long distance away from being normal! 


Word of the Day: Canny


Quote of the Day: 'When I look at the world I am pessimistic. When I look at people I am optimistic.' Carl Rogers


Random thought of the Day: Should I just give in to the random urge I always get to flick customers who shop at the supermarket on the nose and see how they react? (Probably not, I need that job).

No comments:

Post a Comment