Monday 9 May 2011

Acting on Random Thoughts

Random thoughts that just pop into your head, aka Unwanted Intrusive Thoughts are an actual psychological condition. For those of you who drive, when you are going really fast do you ever get the sudden urge to crash the car? If you are walking near somewhere with a huge drop do you ever get the urge to jump off? I have a repeated one that involves the bridge over a river near to where I live. Whenever I walk over it with someone else I get the urge to push them in!


Obviously these urges are strange but statistics (real ones, I'm not making this up) have shown around 80% of people get these random thoughts. However it is worrying when you act upon them. A friend of mine gets the urge to say goodbye to technological objects when they turn them off...and says 'Goodbye.' I can not be too judgemental, I get the urge to thank cash machines when they dispense my money and on a few occasions have said 'Thank You'.


I feel I am no closer to being normal. I'm not too worried, but I think a lot of people will think twice before crossing a bridge with me in future!


Word of the Day: Compulsive 

No comments:

Post a Comment