Sunday 22 May 2011

Inside/Outside

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WARNING<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                            (I think this might get a bit serious)

A lot of my blogs come from random thoughts or discussions I have with my friends. Obviously the majority of things I talk and think about are completely ridiculous, if not somewhat funny. On the rare occassion however a serious conversation may arise. This topic has been brought to light with a few important people in my life this week...should how we look really matter?

I've always been brought up to believe that it's what is on the inside that really counts. A lot of my friends may come up with responses such as 'You can't **** a personality'. In all honesty though I think we all should really think about what really matters. I think it is important to take a certain amount of pride in how you look. You should feel comfortable in your own skin. But unless you are a model, it is our personality and actions that will push us forward in life.

Is it not more rewarding knowing that your friends enjoy your company for who you are and not for how you look? Obviously in relationships attraction is an important factor but overall it's personality that will keep the life in the relationship in my opinion. When you are having surgery would you not feel more comfortable knowing the surgeon got their job because they were the best available or because they were the prettiest to have applied?

I could go on and on about why people need to stop being so driven by looks. But I want to keep this brief so that people actually read the full blog and don't get bored halfway through. I'm going to use two examples of people who have made their career from their looks.
Firstly lets look at Kate Moss.
A successful supermodel? Yes. A good role model? Well lets think. Obviously Moss is well within her right to lead her life as she so wishes. So I'll overlook the drugs, falling out of clubs and the men. But for someone who is very influential to young girls to come out with 'Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' is a total Nob in my mind. Well done Mossy, I'm sure the parents of all those adolescents with eating disorders love you!

My second example is Katie Piper.


Those of you who are not familiar with Katie Piper should read up on her story. She started out as a model but was raped and beaten by her boyfriend, who then went on to pay a man to throw acid in her face. What is admirable about Katie is that she has used what has happened to her to help others who have physical differences to the norm (such as burns, turmours etc). Instead of shying away she has made a difference in people's lives, not only due to how she looks but because of her great personality. I strongly recommend people to watch Katie Piper: My Beautiful Face and Katie Piper: My Beautiful Friends on 4OD.

Obviously I've used two extreme examples. But I hope I've made my point! Yes, it is ok to take pride in how we look and feel comfortable in our skin BUT that should take the back seat. It is what we do and who we are that matters, and what people will ultimately judge us on. And for the record, I don't care too much about my looks, I roll out of bed in the morning and go to work with my hair as wild as anything and my clothes unironed. I guess I just hate to be normal and conform!

Word of the Day: Apodictic
Quote of the Day: 'Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darkness of others.' Carl Jung


No comments:

Post a Comment