Thursday 2 June 2011

Freedom of Speech

I came across this article today. Police officers in Barnsley have the power to fine people if they swear in public places. Personally I try to ensure my language is respectable enough when I'm in places or situations where making comments such as f*** off may cause offence. Obviously not everyone adopts this moral conduct. I asked a man for I.D at the supermarket last week and his response was 'You're having a laugh right, you f****** c***?' This was not said aggressively, it was simple everyday language for the apparently 26 year old gentleman. 


I have two queries about the new procedure being conducted in Barnsley. Firstly what counts as a swear word? I think we can all agree that the F word and C word are naughty words that we should never use in front of mummy and daddy. However I've been brought up to believe that piss is another naughty word. A few of my friends have not. I am comfortable with say bitch in front of my parents, but it's still a naughty word for some. I could go and on about what words I've been raised to believe are naughty. The point is everyone has different views on the matter. Is society becoming desensitized to language that was once perceived as profanities? Probably.


 It seems the Barnsley council are trying to go back to the good old days where no one would dare say such naughty words in public. In society where freedom of speech is the norm it seems like Barnsely is a little out of touch. Personally I think that some words are naughty but they are losing the impact they once had as they have become part of everyday language. Barnsely's heart is obviously in the right place, but if you look at other things such as the 9 pm watershed it is clear things are changing. I'm pretty sure Bitch has been used on good old corrie in recent years before 9 pm and lets not get into how much sex on Tv has changed since the 60s.


My second issue is if we start to implement punishment to people who use naughty words, what next? Will the government start fining people for saying the primeminster is a smug prick? Oh shit I swore so I will be fined...if prick is classed as swearing? As nice as it would be for people to not swear, they do. Freedom of speech my arse. I'm telling you, Big Brother is watching!


Word of the Day: Semantics


Quote of the Day: 'I love you all, but you're all f****** mad' Ozzy Osbourne


Guilty Confession of the Day: I forewarned someone this blog would be dedicated to them. This is not the first time I've attempted to kill someone. The first time resulted in our entire science class being banned from experiments (for legal reasons I must refrain from releasing the details). Both times I have unintentionally committed attempted murder this person in question has been my accomplice. I put it to both you dear reader and the said person that this person is in fact mentally disturbed and I am simply easily led.  

No comments:

Post a Comment