Friday 3 June 2011

Facebookbots

Like the majority of people I associate with I have a Facebook account. I check my account regularly, using it to communicate publicly and privately with my friends. I feel there are many good things about Facebook. It allows people to keep in touch with others who they may have lost contact with if Facebook hadn't been available. I've had my account for four or five years now so have amassed a large collection of photos I have been 'tagged' in. It therefore allows me to look back on moments in my life I may otherwise have forgotten.(I have to admit sometimes I wish I could forget them. I went through a stage where I thought streaking was cool. I can now look back at the photographic evidence of how much of a prat I can be).


I could continue with the various things that I think are good about Facebook but this is not the point of this blog.  I feel that some are becoming too dependent upon Facebook. It is as though Facebook has become part of their personality. Before I continue, I am aware that I use this blog as an outlet for my thoughts and opinions. However there is a big BUT. I express elements of my life that I feel can be discussed publicly and what is more I have already talked about with someone before I publish them on here. More importantly, these are not what I deem private. They are not a way of expressing emotions or opinions that I feel I can not do vocally or socially. This is where I think the problem has arisen. 


I can guarantee when I log onto Facebook I will come across someone openly or subliminally expressing an emotion or issue that they have not discussed and what is more it should probably be kept private. I do not actually have a problem with people doing this. My issue is that whilst technology has made it easier for them to express themselves it has also in turn made it more and more difficult for people to express themselves in the real world. 
I find it amusing that there are films available which feature Robots trying to take over the world. But are all these people who choose to live through technology and struggle to tackle issues in the real worlds actually becoming robots? I have stumbled across so much crap on Facebook over the years that I have contemplated deleting my account. People openly telling the world incredibly private details about their or someone else's life. I feel I am quiet an open person but some things should be kept private and what's more not discussed online but in person. I have witnessed people expressing issues with friends or former friends both openly or making subtle digs. Why do this? It is because Facebook has disabled your ability to communicate as a human being in social situations! 

Another explanation is societies growing obsession with fame. People want everybody to know their intimate details because then people will talk about them! Whilst people were once famous for actually having talent or having done great things we now live in a society where the likes of Paris Hilton are more well known amongst the younger generations than the Prime Minister! (Sorry to use two blatant nobs for my examples but you get my point I hope). I think this is why I loved Scre4m so much, it made a relevant dig at the mentality of a large group of my generation! 

But why have I not deleted my account? Because Facebook has a grasp over me too! So the robots are taking over!!!

Word of the Day: Communication

Quote of the Day: 'Is it Facebook official?' Various

Random Thought of the Day: How do they make some grapes 'seedless'? Surely they would be infertile? (I'll google this!)

*I've added this note because whilst my last status was 'has just had a massive shit at work' I've had Facebook for a long time so I may have guilty of committing the above faux pas in the past!!

1 comment:

  1. I actually overheard a conversation between two girls in the carpark at heywood sports village the other day saying that she knew that her friendship with somebody must be over because she had been deleted from the her facebook account.

    ReplyDelete