Tuesday 7 June 2011

Do what's Expected!!!

Recently Marriage has had a rather profound impact upon my future. Not that I am getting married but a few people I know are. So I've been looking into some of the more 'out there' marriages. 
Irregardless of sexuality, there is phenomenal pressure from the government, media, education systems and our own families to find a partner who is 'the one'. I'd like to point out I'm not a cynic, I just don't feel the need to pursue this.  I feel this pressure has made some people go a little mad. A man in Korea married a pillow in 2010 and a woman has married the Eiffel Tower. I'm always completely overjoyed when friends of mine become engaged or get married (to another human being, but hey if they wanted to marry a pillow I'd understand....men in white coats...) Personally, for myself, it just seems to be surrounded by so many external factors that pressurise us to do it.  I hope I've not offended anyone, it's a personal view for me and my life...each to their own, if you are happy I am happy for you :)!  I just feel it's sent some people a bit mental. The pillow and Eiffel Tower people are somewhat tame to some of the ones I came across!
Celebrities such as Cameron Diaz and Enrique Iglesias have never tied the knot and both are in their mid to late thirties. Is this because they have not yet found 'the one'? I doubt it. Marriage isn't for everyone. This societal pressure and expectation that it is what everyone should do is archaic. 
Which brings me to another point. I told a friend today that I planned to use some of my savings to go travelling with. Their response was 'Shouldn't you spend it on something like a deposit for your first house? That is what most people do.' What is wrong with me?! I want to be normal but I just have this thirst to explore and not be tied down. I want to see the world. Experience things that Rochdale will never offer. Do I sound young and immature? For once I don't think so. I'm 23, plenty of time to continue growing as a person. Just because it is what people normally do and expect you to do does not mean I'm going to, especially if I don't want to. Is this a rant? Slightly. Rochdale is making me feel more and more trapped by the day! Buy a house? I need to see a few more countries before I can make that sort of commitment! As for marriage....I'll propose to the Dog if my parents start to nag.


Word of the Day: Individuality


Quote of the Day:'In olden times sacrifices were made at the altar - a practise which is still continued.' Helen Rowland


Random Thought of the Day: At what age are you supposed to stop shivering when you stop peeing? Did everybody experience the shiver when they were young? How about now? 


Guilty Confession of the Day: I still shiver when I stop peeing. 


*I just want to reiterate - I'm 23! I want to explore some more. I'm not fully against any of the above. I feel comfortable enough in putting these views on here in the hope that I won't cause offense or come across as 'wrong'. Tis why i don't ever blog about religion. Everyone but Atheists hate Atheists! 

No comments:

Post a Comment